Rogues

Rogues

Friday, February 19, 2010

About the wisdom of crowds...

Oddly enough, I have been so predisposed to the concept of individualism in a sea of conformity as positive, it had never occurred to me that there could be a beneficial aspect of appealing to groups on any scale. The analogy of the 'waggle dance' and ox-weighing experiment actually changed my mind in regards to relying on group dynamic for analysis; then I remembered how some families have those black boxes that monitor what they watch on television 24/7 and are sent readouts of what these families purchase as a result of the commercials they see on television. I'd like to think that there's some benevolent and people-powered positivity in the wisdom of crowds, but in our hyper-mass marketed country, I can't help but feel that an individual with well-rounded skill sets stands a better chance of figuring something out. after further review I may feel different.

1 comment:

Kathleen Sweeney said...

As an individualist myself, your points are well taken. The positives of crowd sourcing come in the form of meme based shifts that occur through collective actions: greening of business, micro fundraising (Haiti), civil rights, gay rights, etc, which all come from forms of aggregation that lead to social and cultural tipping points...However, these movements of change are often initiated by maverick individuals! Creative, out of the box thinkers!....