Rogues

Rogues

Monday, February 1, 2010

The Tipping Point (also an amazing album by The Roots!)

I am amazed to read this 'biography of an idea', simply because about a year ago I was mouthing off to everyone that I had this new epiphany around understanding trends (only to find that this book was written; and reaffirm that there is nothing 'new'). No matter how far I read, I was forced to return to the introduction over and over for the lens with which to ascertain all the ideas Gladwell brings into the light throughout the book. His 'yawning as a trend' example was a brilliant understanding of the way ideas move as contagions, and should be studied in the same manner as epidemics. Perhaps, even with the same seriousness if we're to prevent more violent and earth-shattering ideas from becoming commonplace.

Myself, I'd like to say I try really hard as a reader to never judge the author as someone writing to convert minds to their way of thinking, but as someone sharing their deepest secret: how they see the world. If not for that distinct difference in critique, I would easily surmise that Gladwell is an egocentric know-it-all with plans for world domination. However, upon reading the introduction a second time(which I'll outright suggest we all do for this book), I almost know that Gladwell's work is already on the desk of some out of control corporate despot CEO as their marketing version of 'the anarchist's cookbook'. Gladwell's examples of the idea spreading as a virus might be the most sound since 1+1=2. I wonder if he means to say, "People are not stupid, just malleable as all get out. Look what I've made you into."

This book is indeed at the core of True Villainy, and one person's villain is always someone else's hero.

3 comments:

Kathleen Sweeney said...

You raise some eloquent points here, which, as an advocate of deep social change, echoes my reservations at times with Gladwellian overviews. He takes a clinical view at times of "trends" without taking a stand on which viruses assist humanity and which ones are simply marketing schemes. It's this ambivalence that has contributed to his bestseller status...he's got something viral for everybody....

Kathleen Sweeney said...

p.s. can you post a link to a YouTube clip for the Roots...would love to see your faves!

Melissa Campbell said...

I think this is pretty much my exact issue with Gladwell and I was just never able to put it into words. He's so distant from the possibilities of his ideas and doesn't really explore (or even seem interested in acknowledging) the problems inherent in them.